Thursday, December 2, 2010

I've Learned a Thing or Two...

Me  (Climbing in a Gorge in the 80's)

I keep this photo on the "inspiration wall" in my studio as a reminder to be brave.  I wanted to share it with you because I feel like my climb in this photo parallels the 30 in 30 for 30 challenge I just completed...  At first it seemed overwhelming, but by facing my fears, being brave, and pushing myself I was able to accomplish my goal.

November turned out to be a month of self discovery (in addition to creativity), so I thought I'd share some of what I've learned.

(In no particular order)

1.  I can create a painting every day (for a month).

2.  I am more brave than I realized.  Before this challenge I wouldn't have posted everything - the good, the bad, and the mediocre.  Which leads me to...

3.  If you create a finished painting every day, you can't expect them all to be masterpieces!

created at Dumpr

4.  Gesso is messy and needs to be handled with care.

5.  Inspiration is everywhere!  Day #10 probably sums it up best.

6.  This challenge has been fun, frustrating, exciting, messy, stimulating, aggravating, inspiring, enjoyable, maddening, invigorating... a challenge.

7.  I'd do it again.  (Probably not in the near future, but I would do it again!) 

created at Dumpr

8.  I like bright colors and sometimes I even use paint straight out of the tube! (I can almost hear one of my college professor's gasp... I can only imagine the tears he would shed over the state of my disorganized and messy palettes!  hee hee)  I also like to play with texture and lots of different techniques.  I do what I love because I love to do it!

9.  I wouldn't have made it through without all of the support and encouragement from my friends and family (both blogging and here at home)!  And finally...

10.  I cannot leave my palette and water container on my desk when I am not there.  Reason:  I have 2 cats, Mona and Lisa.  Mona is the typical Garfield-esque cat.  Lisa is, err... well, um... the more adventurous take-a-tumble-down-the-laundry-chute type.  Lisa is also the type to jump up on a work desk and rest her little paws in a wet palette just to get a drink from a dirty water container even though there is perfectly good, fresh water in her dish.  She is the type of cat that leaves her mark on the world and her brightly colored pawprints all over my studio floor!

created at Dumpr

Word is getting around!  The remaining paintings are available in my etsy shop for the amazing $30.00 price... I'd love it if you stopped by - original paintings make great gifts!

21 comments:

  1. I love this post! Rock on, Kristen. You are amazingly talented and creative. I love watching your journey unfold :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless you and your cotton socks :)You are an inspiration!
    ps. LOVE that you have two cats called Mona and Lisa :)x

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOU ARE BRAVE girl!! I can only imagine the thrill of having done this - thank you for sharing and reminding me to BE brave.

    ReplyDelete
  4. *sigh* (And, "Thank you, God, for keeping me out of your way.")

    I love you, my amazing one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are AWESOME!
    Thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful reflection on this challenge. Congrats that you did it, every single day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I'm so impressed! You made 30 in 30...and I just spent WAY too much time browsing back in your blog to see all 30...and had a blast! Wonderful paintings!! And love this list of things learned on this journey (and laughed hard at your cat Lisa!)

    xoEsther

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on you fantastic achievement - you must be so proud of your accomplishment. You work is absolutely stunning - I don't know if I would be brave enough to take on this challenge but you have given me something to aspire to - hmm maybe next year... x

    ReplyDelete
  9. great job on finishing your 30/30 challenge. that is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. sounds like it was a great creative challenge/journey that your finished beautifully congrats sweet Kristin,congrats:D p.s. Love your blog & love your new header....sooooo glad you've joined us in the blogging world. XO.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wonderful post. your work looks super blown up :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous and inspiring post! I cannot imagine painting a painting everyday but I can imagine using paint straight fom the tube. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on 30 paintings in 30 days! You are very brave and inspiring!

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kristin , you are so clever. I love this. And congratulations too for all your efforsts thus far!! I hope to see you at teh TEa tomorrow, btw. msut dash--do ahve a a very big tea indeed to do.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kristin! so so awesome! you did it! Celebrating over here all the amazing revelations you experienced and HOPING they will gain momentum into the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations. I celebrate your achievement.
    *

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that photo--which gorge is it? It's wonderful. I'm glad you feel proud for your 30-day accomplishments; you should. Just getting down and painting is very therapeutic.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kristin,
    Wow! WOW! & WOW!!!! That was SOOOOOOOO inspiring!! Congratulations!! You have certainly inspired me. I feel like grabbing by paint brush as I type this! The hardest thing for me is pushing through my fears. But YOU did it! YEA! and again WOW! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kristin - received the Picowsso print!!!!!!!!! Even more than I was anticipating. WE LOVE IT!!! Can't wait to give it to our vet student daughter!!!!!!!!!! It is so her!!!! Of course, your special extras are awesome too. It is like I got a gift buying a gift! Thank you so much!
    dana

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the positive encouragement. I'm trying to remount my art career after a 3 year hiatus dealing with family illnesses. Look forward to challenging myself as well. Thanks! And thanks for visiting my site as well!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love and appreciate all of your comments! I turned off the word verification so please don't leave me spam. Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...