Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Playing with Papers: A Collage


Last Friday, I shared "How Sweet It Is" collage papers for CareFREE Fridays!  (If you haven't already downloaded them, you can get them here.)  For this week's Playing with Papers! I created a collage.  If you have kids (or know some kids), this would be a great summer project to do with them!


(click image to enlarge and print)

I started by drawing a quick gumball machine.  (If you would like to use the image I created, simply click on it to enlarge and print.)  I printed 2, 8x10 copies on cardstock - one for my background and one to use as a pattern.

(This would also make a fun coloring page.  You could fill the "gumball machine" with all sorts of things... goldfish, candy, sea monkeys, whatever!)



Using one of my printed images, I cut out the different pieces of the gumball machine to create patterns to trace.



I printed out the gummy worm paper, the black licorice paper and the red handwriting paper.  I used the patterns I created to trace the parts of the gumball machine onto the collage papers.  (I used a penny to create the "gumballs".)



Once all of the pieces were traced and cut out of the collage papers, I used a glue stick to adhere them to the background - just like a puzzle.  (The small circle and square could be cut from plain black paper or simply drawn on using a black marker.)

This fun and simple collage would look great matted and framed in a child's room.  The best part?  They can make it themselves!

*This step-by-step process is intended for personal use only.*
Please do not sell this image or teach/post this tutorial as your own. 

It is totally okay to use the FREE collage papers to make your own unique images to sell. (I actually think that's pretty cool, and I'd love to see them!)

But, please do not sell re-creations of the image I've made.  (That's not cool.)


Please be sure to check back for more FREE collage papers (and ideas to go with them)!




16 comments:

  1. What a cute idea and use of the collage papers. I'm sure plenty of children will have fun with the pattern and the papers. How very generous of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! My younger sister used to collect everything "Gumball machine-like" This is such a neat collage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your good Kristin, yep you are! I love the gumball machine. You don't run across those much any more. Great job. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hubba bubba Kristin! This is a great use of your lovely papers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You inspire us all. My son will have to see this when he wakes up. Maybe we'll get creative tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow this is such a great idea, a gumball machine collage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for sharing Kristin! I'm always looking for summertime activities, so generous!
    Much Love,
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had to laugh, because this gumball machine looks exactly like the small lighthouse on our island. You can see it here:
    http://tinyurl.com/6c5csxa

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are COOL for sharing soooooooooooo much!!!! Love it and will definitely use it!!!
    cheers, dana

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your collage and it really would be fun for kids to do too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is sooo much fun! my kids saw it and agree! We will have to give it a try! hugs to you! you are so creative! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE gumball machines. That was always my favorite part of going to the grocery store. We would get a quarter each week - only I spent mine on Superballs. So nice of you to share the collage papers too...they are awesome and I am always on the hunt for the unique and colorful ones. And Kristin, thank you. Thank you so much for your encouraging words on my blog today. It means a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Endless inspiration ....I mean you are...I came here the other day and tried to comment while on my phone and it wouldn't let me (I wanted to fire the phone out the window) but each and every single time I come here you inspire me...thank you, thank you, thank you!! This gumball machine would be so awesome to do with my daughter!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is the coolest gumball machine ever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the way you broke down this collage...Ive never done one and you have inspired me to finally do it. Love all your work, you are an inspiration. gerri :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your gumball machine. I plan on using it with our PTO Membership drive bulletin board!!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love and appreciate all of your comments! I turned off the word verification so please don't leave me spam. Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...