Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Tutorial Try-Out: A Lynne Hoppe Inspired Face (And An Announcement)

(I used supplies I already had in my studio... there were a few substitutions.)

This week's tutorial try-out was:
Lynne Hoppe's How to Paint Faces tutorial

As I mentioned at the end of my last post, I am a big fan of Lynne Hoppe.  I love her style... The softness, loose lines, and limited palette intrigue me.  I was very excited to (finally) give her "how-to" a try...


As much as I loooove Lynne's work, I didn't want to create a copy.  I was interested in seeing how her technique and palette might translate into my own work.  I was also hoping that doing this technique might help me loosen up a little...  I have a tendency to get caught up in details (and frequently over-work pieces), so I thought Lynne's soft style might give me some insights into how I can improve as an artist.

I think I did learn quite a bit by doing this tutorial, 
and I will definitely be tucking away some of my new-found understanding for use in later projects.

Did you try this tutorial?
If so, please link up below.
(I can't wait to see!)

And, please be sure to read all the way to the bottom of this post for next week's tutorial and an important announcement!


Next week's tutorial was suggested by NatashaMay:
Denthe's Geometric Painting Technique

Now, for the announcement:

Summer is fast approaching, and so are some challenges that I love to participate in!  Since I'm planning on playing along with Daisy Yellow's Index Card A Day (from June 1st to July 31st), Twinkle Twinkle's Summer Of Color, and Rhi-Creations Doodle-A-Day, May 28th will be my last Tutorial Try-Out (for now...).

Kristin Dudish

8 comments:

  1. beautiful job!! forlorn...that was perfectly placed, yeah?

    i'm going to try the Index Card a Day challenge. Hope I can keep up. I so enjoyed seeing yours last summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found you via the sharing link love lists over at Tammy's blog and I have loved your Tutorial Try Outs! But, I also love the challenges that you are taking on as well. Looking forward to seeing what you create.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much mystery and allure in this piece. I love the box around forlorn and only saw it on second look -- but it speaks volumes along with the expression on the face. Thanks for sharing your beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Lynne-lady is beautiful, lovely colours and I like the way you have darkened the area around the head to make it stand out. I thought I wouldn't be able to do this because of not having the right materials to reproduce the style, but your note on using just what you had made me see what I could do with my studio supplies.
    It was well worth the effort of following this tutorial, and I shall miss them in the summer, so I hope you pick them up again in later in the year.
    I had found the Summer of Colour the other day and decided to have a go at that, and I'll go and look up the doodle one now. And see what kind of a challenge Denthe's tutorial will be. Thanks Kristin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely work, i love creating over patterns...haven't tried over book pages yet...looks really cool...wish i had known about your tutorial try outs...looks like great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love her style, too! I thought that could only be done in Adobe Photoshop or Corel Draw. But she really is a talented artist that she was able to create with her bare hands. That is simply amazing and inspiring for artists who want to make a difference. Have a good day!

    My Website Online PhD UK

    ReplyDelete
  7. She's just beautiful. I love her. I'm doing SoC again and attempting ICAD for the first time. Ooh - am nervous and excited at the same time. I'm going to try and work back on the tutorials you've featured that I've missed too. She says. Laughing at the thought of all these grand plans.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Finally done this one. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love and appreciate all of your comments! I turned off the word verification so please don't leave me spam. Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...