Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Labels... Can't Live Without 'Em

In my last blog post, which was also my first (isn't the english language a funny thing?!?) I announced to the blogosphere that I was going to start facing my fears.

Well, I guess there is no time like the present.

In the past, I have gone to great lengths to avoid labels. I've always been hesitant to use a single word to describe myself. I was afraid of the limitations or judgements that might accompany a label.

What I am beginning to realize is that labels are tools to help define who we are. They are unavoidable. From the moment we are born, we are assigned labels and the list grows from there.

So, I can either fight the inevitable (an exhausting task) or embrace and take charge of all the labels that define who I am. I now know that although there are some labels I can't change, I can control how I "wear" them. I can decide what they mean to me.

In the spirit of limitless potential and infinite possibility I offer you this list:

I am a... Mommy, Dreamer, Painter, Wife, Daughter, Friend, Mess Maker, Worrier, Doughnut Scarfer, Sister, TV Watcher, Blogger, Shower Singer, Dancer, Optimist, Tequila Drinker, Comedian, List Maker, Whack-a-doo (thanks, Mom), Scaredy Cat, Foodie, Amateur Chef, Housekeeper, Aunt, Cousin, Reader, Photographer, Granddaughter, Niece, Swimmer, Believer, Cry-Baby, Listener, Sketcher, Writer, Card Player, Couch Potato, Goofball, Lover, Baker, Hugger, Silly Seeker...

Whether good or bad, self-imposed or given, underneath all of these labels remains one constant...

I am an artist.


2 comments:

  1. Kristin, this is a great 2nd post! Embracing our labels, whether inherited or inevitable I think is a powerful thing to do. Your long list of labels shows, there’s a lot of room in there. And I suspect you probably could add a few dozen more! You’ve inspired me to make my on list of “who I am.” OOOHHH, I like this idea. Anyway, you’re off to a great start.

    Thanks for dropping by my blog and being a follower, I shall do the same.

    Best wishes and much abundance, Mary-Michael

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love and appreciate all of your comments! I turned off the word verification so please don't leave me spam. Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...