Thursday, August 12, 2010

Sketchbook Love

snippets from my sketchbook


Over the years, my sketchbook has become more than a place to hold drawings. My sketchbook (a.k.a. art journal) is where I record my dreams while keeping track of my schedule. It's filled with doodles, photos, calendars, inspiring quotes, movies I've seen, books I've read, and even recipe ideas. Housed in a single binding, it's a sketchbook, journal, photo album and organizer all in one.

My sketchbook is my 'go-to' destination for a late night brainstorming session or to write down memories I don't want to forget. It's a place I can safely go to explore new ideas and experiment with new techniques without the fear of judgement or harsh critique. I don't have to worry about style, a cohesive look, or the finished product - I can just play.

By keeping it all in one book, I always know where to find what I'm looking for. If I'm feeling stuck, finding inspiration is usually just a matter of flipping through it's pages and revisiting an old idea or trying something that I 'saved for later'.

My sketchbook is my constant companion - we've developed quite a relationship. Sure, we've had our fair share of struggles. Sometimes an idea is quickly dismissed, a sketch isn't working, or the color isn't quite right... But, in the end there is always the offer of fresh paper and a chance to work it out.


Be sure to check back to see how this sketch transforms into this weeks color challenge.

5 comments:

  1. I love you. You are a gift. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!!! The look on that pig's face is priceless :) And I love the idea of a one-stop-shop sketchbook with everything inside - sounds like something for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a journal and a separate idea book. I've been trying to decide whether I should combine them or not. I'd love to see a picture of what your book looks like full - not the individual pages if you don't want to share them - I love the look of a book bursting at the seams with goodies.
    Looks like you're doing a good job with your blog - several posts in just two weeks.
    Thanks for commenting & following my blog ~ Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use sketch books too, but not for sketching. I write ideas and stories, and I love how the pen writes on a thicker page. I have different sketch books for different projects I'm working on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your mosaic at the top!! Great idea!! And you cracked me up when you wrote "Sure, we've had our fair share of struggles" I thought you were going to say "fights", and this I wanted to hear about! LOL!

    What a great way you use your sketchbook :D

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I love and appreciate all of your comments! I turned off the word verification so please don't leave me spam. Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...